What Benefits Have Been Replaced by Universal Credit? Benefits

Since the rollout of Universal Credit, six formerly popular benefits have been replaced. Whilst these benefits still exist in some circumstances, most people have been forced to claim for Universal Credit instead. In order to explain the changes and advise on your options, we’ve put together the following guide.

Which Benefits Has Universal Credit Replaced?

Universal Credit was initially brought in to streamline the benefit process. As a result, it has replaced the following benefits in some capacity:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support

Whilst these benefits have been replaced, they do still exist in some circumstances. For example, you are unlikely to need to make a new claim unless you have a change of circumstances or you’re advised to migrate to Universal Credit by the Department for Work and Pensions.

What Happens if I’m Already Receiving These Benefits?

If you are already receiving any of the benefits listed above, you aren’t required to do anything. However, there are two circumstances that can change this. As touched on above, this is if you are either contacted by the DWP, or you experience a change in your circumstances. However, you may be wondering what warrants a change in circumstances. To help you, we’ve listed some of the changes stated on the government website:

  • Changing your job
  • Moving in with a partner
  • Changing your bank details
  • Your health condition changing in any way
  • Becoming responsible for a child or disabled person
  • Any changes to your earnings, savings, investments and money in possession

If any of these changes apply to your life, you should report them in your Universal Credit account. Otherwise, you could risk being taken to court or penalised.

Can I Still Claim These Benefits?

Whilst these benefits have been largely replaced by Universal Credit, some of them can continue to be claimed. However, there is new criteria to allow this to happen.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Unlike Working and Child Tax Credit, ESA can still be applied for. In fact, you could be eligible for Universal Credit alongside or instead of ‘new style’ ESA. You may be interested in this if you are in need of help with other costs such as housing and childcare. If it is that you decide to move over to Universal Credit, you will continue to receive the same amount of money for two weeks as long as you still meet the criteria.

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

Whilst you can no longer apply for Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you may be able to claim for ‘new style’ JSA alongside Universal Credit. For more information on this, you can check out our guide dedicated to ‘new style’ JSA.

Housing benefit

According to the government, you can now only make new claims for Housing Benefits if any of the following apply to you:

  • You have reached State Pension age, or
  • You’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

If it is that you are already receiving Universal Credit, you will not be able to apply for housing benefits.

Need Help? Get Welfare Support In Stafford and South Staffordshire with BBO

If you’ve still got any questions, please contact us. Building Better Opportunities is a lottery funded organisation committed to providing financial advice and employment support to people across Stafford and South Staffordshire. To take advantage of this, you can either contact our team with your questions or attend one of our drop-in sessions. Our advocates would love to hear from you and help you in any way that they can.